Plagiarizing is copying someone else words or ideas and making it as your own. If you do this, you will surely face a big problem but in order to avoid it, you should know what to do. Here are the best tips to avoid plagiarism whether you intentionally or unintentionally commit it.
Tips for Avoiding Plagiarism
- Understand what plagiarism is: One of the tips on avoiding plagiarism is to understand what the plagiarism is all about. With it, you need to use synonyms and get the best word choice to avoid plagiarism.
- Be familiar: If you understand the text as well as what you are talking about, you can create a text using your own words rather than restating the author’s ideas. With this, you need to check out for details that you want to write or tackle about.
- Restate the subject: it is necessary that you restate the subject for many times. The key in here is to understand the material and able to express the meaning of it. Make sure that you avoid reading another author’s material because there is a big possibility that you only restate the statement.
- Reference your sources and quotes: It is essential to include bibliography in your paper. When you use a direct quote, you need to quote and cite it properly. Be sure to follow the right guidelines in quoting to ensure you are doing the right thing.
- Understand what does not need to be cited: Not every single thing in your text must be cited. There are things that you should not include and better to know it.
- Jot down title an author: Each you make a note, you need to jot down the title and the author to avoid plagiarism.
- Keep a research log: As you are searching databases, you need to keep records from it because you will use it for future references.
- Borrowed material must be documented: Every time you incorporate key phrases, pictures or ideas; you need to give a credit to the author.
- Be sure to cite direct quotes correctly
- Identify words that you directly copy
In order to avoid plagiarism, you need to do the right thing. You need to know what you will do and what you need to avoid so that you will not commit plagiarism. Check out the tips from paraphrase helper and begin to learn more in avoiding plagiarism. You can also try using our paraphrase tool free online.